What's In My Getaway Bag?

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Last weekend, I realized I am finally at the point in my life where I can travel more when I came across a $120 roundtrip flight out west to the Grand Canyon. I very nearly booked a flight that left an hour later. Weekend flights to anywhere across the U.S. can actually be affordably cheap (thanks skyscanner.com). The possibility of spending every weekend exploring to new cities invigorated my wanderlust.

I decided to pack what I call my Getaway Bag, or as some people call a Go Bag. Essentially, the Getaway Bag is a suitcase that is kept packed and ready to go for any spontaneous weekend trips. Not only am I prepared if I need to hop on a flight in less than an hour, but my adventurous spirit is revitalized and empowered, because I know that I could quickly and easily be somewhere new. I believe that half the adventure in traveling can be the spontaneous nature of trips.

I urge all avid travelers to keep a Getaway Bag. Because you never know when you'll find the perfect deal or time to go on an adventure.

Here, I'm breaking down my essentials for a weekend getaway bag to keep packed in a corner for when adventure calls.

Read more...




The Bag // Invest in a good weekender to serve as your Getaway Bag. It should be carry-on sized - try to travel as lightly as you can for the weekend. You don't want to be weighed down by extra luggage if you're catching a last-minute flight! I love this travel-inspired bag by Jac Vanek, or this weekender by Madewell

Clothes // Try to keep about 2-4 outfits packed in your bag. You should build these outfits in layers, so that you're ready for anywhere you decide to go! Note that this isn't always going to hold true and sometimes you'll need to re-work the clothes portion of your bag. Going to Colorado in the winter to ski is going to require a very different wardrobe than hopping down to Texas in the summer. Try to keep your Getaway Bag catered to the current season. That being said, packing in layers helps accommodate different climates! Pack jeans with short sleeved shirts or dresses with cardigans to help warm them up. Don't forget pajamas, and also keep a bathing suit - like this awesome travel-inspired suit from Private Party - in there in case you find yourself near a beach or a pool.


Shoes // Bring one comfortable and versatile pair of shoes with you. My favorites are my black Birkenstock sandals or my white Converse - you want shoes that you will be comfortable walking a lot in. If you have space in your bag and anticipate dressing up, make room for a pair of wedges as well.

Camera(s) // Try to keep your camera in your Go Bag when you aren't using it - it'll be one less thing to worry about later. Take your GoPro, and don't forget to pack accessories like a GoPro Stick or Tripod. Another travel favorite of mine is the Fujifilm Instax Mini Instant Camera. Small Polaroid-esque images make great souvenirs from traveling and make for great scrapbooking or home decor!

Tech // Make sure to bring a pair of headphones to listen to music or watch in-flight entertainment. And even though it can be bulky, I recommend bringing an iPad when you are traveling spontaneously. This way if anything goes wrong, like canceled flights or bad AirBnbs, you can easily access the Internet and figure out a solution. Don't forget phone and camera chargers!

Toiletries // Keep a small pouch (like this fun one I have via Etsy) packed with travel-sized toiletries in your bag, as well as zip-lock baggies for flying. Some essentials include a toothbrush and toothpaste, dry shampoo, shampoo and body wash, a hairbrush, and deodorant. Also include some extra makeup essentials, like foundation, eyeliner and mascara, and lipstick. 

Energy // Bring a water bottle with you to keep yourself hydrated when you're on the go. I also always carry a power bar with me in case I don't get the chance to grab food or am running low on energy.

Extra // You'll want to bring some things to keep yourself entertained, especially if you are flying. I always keep a travel journal (love this Rifle Paper Co. one) with me on a trip, as well as some good reading material. 

Cash Money // Pro tip: keep an Adventure Jar as a piggy bank and save up spare cash as a travel fund. Take your earnings with you on your getaway - any extra spending money is a nice suprise.

What's in your Go Bag?
XOXO, J

You Might Also Like

0 comments