College 101: Organization and Study Tips

Tuesday, September 15, 2015


It's getting to that point in the semester when everything begins to catch up to you way more quickly than you'd like.  It feels like Welcome Week was just yesterday, but your professors are already assigning ridiculous amounts of reading and giving you pop quizzes, and suddenly midterms are looming closer every day.  Trust me, I've had my fair share of mental breakdowns to know the pain.  Those midnights before a paper is due when you don't even have a thesis statement?  Or those all-nighters spent cramming for exams that you know no matter how much you study for, you'll never feel prepared enough?  The woes of college life are literally endless.
 But then again, how can we complain when we're so lucky to be here?  I always feel a tinge of guilt when I'm stressed out and thinking about how I'd rather just drop out of school and join the circus.  And then I realize that I don't have the coordination to walk a tightrope and I'm not as cool as Reese Witherspoon and can't perform gymnastics on top of an elephant.  So instead, I clear my head.  I remember that I want this because I have big dreams and this is how I'm going to get there.  I get focused and I get organized.  The best way to treat a new school year is to get in control of your work before everything you feel overwhelmed.

Here I've laid out some study and organizational tips that work for me.  Granted, everybody learns differently.  How I study may not be what works best for you.  The best way to figure out what does work for you is to try out different methods.  If you are really struggling in school, talk to somebody.  There are countless resources on campus to get help - counselors, academic advisers, tutors, etc.  Utilize them.  You may feel like you're drowning in the pressure of the semester, but trust me, you are not alone in that feeling.  Getting focused and organized will help you live up to your potential.



1. Keep an agenda.
I have kept a detailed agenda for myself since high school.  It is honestly the one thing that keeps me from feeling overwhelmed.  I can look at it and say, "Ok, I have to do this and that by then and be here on this day."  It keeps my life organized.  I invest yearly in a Lilly Pulitzer agenda, and you will catch me constantly referring to it as my bible.  I live out of my agenda.   On the pages with an outline of the entire month, I write down events I have to be at, days I have to work, and when major exams or papers are due.  Then on the pages that break down each week, I section off each day for each class and write my homework there.  I keep everything color coded.  Invest in an agenda (or use the calender on your phone if you're more technologically inclined).

2. Set your own deadlines.
Of course you have assignment deadlines for classes, we all got the syllabus.  But keep your life organized by setting your own deadlines.  In the midst of collegiate chaos, I set deadlines for myself, like how many blog posts for the magazine and for here that I want to get up for the week and when by.  Having a deadline makes you actually sit down and get things done.

3. Get ahead.
Have some free time?  Not sure what to do on your Saturday when football has a bye week? Lay out your homework for the week and get ahead on work if you can.  Look over readings and lecture outlines before class - you'll learn more during the actual lecture because you're familiar with the material.  Do homework early and you'll avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Make a daily to-do list.
I don't know about you, but I love making lists.  I love seeing what I have to do today, but even more, I love checking things off.  I feel like I've accomplished so much, which keeps me motivated.

5. Pay attention and take notes.
Just going to lecture is never enough.  Even if the professor puts lecture slides online.  Pay attention in class, because hearing the material will help you to remember it. And take detailed notes, because not all the information is always going to be in the slides.  The better notes you take, the better you'll understand the material and the easier it will be to study later.



6. Don't procrastinate.

Do not pull an all-nighter right before an exam (been there, done that).  It will only leave you feeling exhausted and sick, and you won't be on top of your game at all.  You will think so much better if you prepare yourself early and get a full nights rest before the exam.  And make sure to eat a good meal before you go! Having energy will help you stay focused and thinking straight.

7. Do all the readings.
Even if your professor goes over them practically word for word in lecture, read. The more you cover the material, the better you'll know it and the more prepared you'll be for an exam.



8. Make exam study guides.

Don't just study blindly!  If your professors provide guides on what will be on the exam, then great.  If not, make one yourself on all of the main points that you've learned.  You'll know what to go back and focus on instead of blindly flipping through old chapters.  Also, go over the material with a friend! Talking though concepts will help you understand and remember them better.



9. Manage your time wisely.

Like I've said, do not procrastinate.  Instead, set out how much time you want to spend on each subject everyday.  Don't just begin studying before the exam - focus on material as you receive it.  Try to study a bit of all of your classes everyday.  Don't waste too much time on one thing or procrastinate on another.

10. Utilize your resources.
Again, there are so many resources available across campus for students, so use them! Become acquainted with your academic adviser - they'll help you map out your years at college and make the most of your time.  If you're really struggling, get a tutor! There is no shame - getting a good grade is always worth it.  And go to your professors' office hours.  The best thing that you can do is build relationships with them so you are a face, not just another name.  They can help you out in class, and even in the future.  You want to study abroad? Chances are you'll need a letter of recommendation!



11. Find you ideal study area.

Find someplace where you won't get distracted.  Do you work best alone in silence, or around other people?  Whether it's your room, a coffee shop, or the library - find the place where you can focus the best.

12. Avoid overload.
Again, this comes back to the idea of budgeting your time.  Don't let your work accumulate to the last minute.  Too much work at once will only cause stress.



13. Allow yourself breaks.

Reward yourself!  All that time you're spending studying each night deserves a little break.  Whatever it is for you, go with it.  For ever half an hour, hour, whatever of work, go hang out with friends or surf the internet or whatever you do for fun for a bit.  You'll go insane, and become a hermit, if all you do is study.



14. Keep yourself healthy.

This may not seem like much of a study tip, but it's incredibly important, especially around this time of year.  Keeping yourself healthy keeps you happy, and the better you feel about your life, the more organized it is and the better you can focus.



15. Keep yourself focused on your dreams.

What is it that you want to do with your life?  Whatever it is, don't forget about it.  This is crucial to success, because, at least for me, my dreams are the main source of motivation.  It reminds me that I'd rather graduate and have my dream job than drop out and join the circus.  Whether its short term, like getting into your dream study abroad program, or long term, like securing your dream job - stay focused.
Keep your eyes to the stars but your feet on the ground.

School-induced stress is something we can all relate to - I know I've had my fair share over the past three years.  I haven't always been, nor am I always still, the most organized and studious.  But upon reflection of what works best for me, I hope that these tips can help you get focused and organized too. Of course it's okay to throw your backpack to the side, pour a nice glass of wine, and complain about how you hate your professor every once and a while.  Just remember to keep your eyes on the prize - and being organized and being focused will make your journey a lot smoother.

~Always remember these are some of the best years of our lives~

XOXO, J

You Might Also Like

0 comments